It is always essential to have a balanced meal, and this is evident in the Asian culture. The meals are always balanced with vegetables, rice and protein respectively. At Obento, we are unable to provide stir-fried vegetables as an option because we would not be able to deliver the authentic taste and texture that you would experience when freshly stir-fried at home or restaurant. However, we are exploring various vegetarian dishes to expand our offering!
We will be publishing a series of recipes where you can make the delicious dishes at home while the Obento's are being reheated.
Our recipe today is stir-fried cabbage with a touch of chilli. This is an easy recipe, and all the ingredients are readily obtainable from your local supermarket.
- 10 x washed cabbage leaves (shredded by hand to maintain the sweetness of the vegetable, roughly the size of a tablespoon round surface)
- 2 x garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 x ginger, size of a teaspoon, sliced
- 3 x dried chillies, cracked in half (if you do not like spice, this can be omitted)
- 1 x Tablespoon of oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a deep pan/wok on med-high heat.
- Put the garlic, ginger and dry chillies in. Fry until fragrant as the aromatics will sizzle and infuse its flavour into the oil.
- Add in the cabbage leaves and stir-fry for 2 minutes until all leaves are coated with oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water and salt to desired taste.
- Reduce to medium heat and cover the pan. Occasionally stir the vegetables and cook to the desired softness/crispness.
Traditionally, foods are served on a sharing plate for all to share, and each dish is accompanied by a dedicated pair of chopsticks to avoid crossing flavours between the different dishes. In my opinion, this is the only way Asian food should be enjoyed!
Hope you enjoy this dish to complement with your yummy goodies!