Rice is perceived as the main staple in all Asian cuisines, but I believe that noodles should also be placed in the same category. I am totally biased because a noodle dish is easier to whip up a quick meal together, especially if you are cooking for one. Everyone does have their preference, so no judging here!
There is something about noodles that makes it so versatile. You can make plain wheat noodles, add eggs or even adding flavoured vegetable jus (which is the trend nowadays). Even rice noodles are great for specific dishes and are inclusive to those who are gluten intolerant. I could go on about noodles for days, but we will publish that another blog post on noodles alone.
Today we are sharing a recipe that is a firm favourite! This recipe calls for beef; however, you are welcome to replace with another protein of your choice. This recipe serves 3 - 4 people as a main dish.
Ingredients to marinate the meat:
- 150g beef, sliced (silverside/fillet works well)
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/2tsp cornflour (Maizena)
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/4tsp dark soy sauce
Ingredients for the dish
- 360g noodles
- 2 red chillies, sliced in half lengthways
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2Tbsp oyster sauce
- 100g bamboo shoots, sliced into strips
- 100g broccoli, individual florets to the desired size
- 2Tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt as desired
- Marinade the meat for 2 hours before stir-frying.
- Use a pot to bring water to boil, enough to submerge the noodles.
- Add the noodles to the pot and cook till al dente (70% cooked, this will ensure when you stir fry, the noodles won't break and will absorb the flavours)
- Drain the noodles and rinse the noodles in cold water to stop the cooking process. To avoid the noodles from clumping, toss the noodles in a bit of oil.
- Heat a pan/wok on high heat and add 1Tbsp vegetable oil.
- When the oil is heated, add the beef and fry until cook until medium to well done.
- Remove the beef into another bowl for later.
- Using the same pan, add 1Tbsp of oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and chillies. Fry until fragrant.
- Add the broccoli and bamboo shoots and stir-fry until the broccoli is cooked through.
- Add the beef to the pan and stir-fry for one minute, further add 2Tbsp of water to loosen the cornflour.
- Add in the cooked noodles to the stir fry and mix. Further, add the oyster sauce and stir-fry until the noodles are coated in the sauce.
- Switch off the stove, and you are ready to serve!
Hope you enjoy this dish and please remember share with us on social media!